Saint-Rémy Church
Where? 18, Tavigny, B-6662 Houffalize
Saint-Remy church dates back to the 17th century, with remarkable furnishings, including three 18th-century altars, a pulpit, confessionals and statues of Sainte-Barbe, Saint-Gengoux and Saint-Rémi.
The centre of the village of Tavigny is home to three listed monuments: the castle, its farm and its religious building, dedicated to Saint Remy.
It is an old church typical of the Ardennes, located at the top of a grassy slope. Surrounded by its cemetery, this whitewashed rubble stone building was erected in the early 18th century. The tower bears the date 1736, and we can assume that the entire sanctuary was built at the same time. Almost blind, this tower is topped by an octagonal slate spire. On its north side, it has an arched doorway made of slate. This leads to the single-nave nave with three bays, lit by high arched windows. It is closed off by a three-sided chevet. The interior space, reserved for the faithful, has a curiously squat character. The church houses some remarkable furnishings. The three altars, the pulpit, the confessionals and the statues of Saint Barbe, Saint Gengoux and Saint Remy date from the early 18th century.
Outside, there are a few ancient tombs, mainly grouped along the walls of the church. Of particular note is the stele of a certain Clément Salmon, geographer of the Luxembourg Society, who died in 1829. This society was responsible for the construction of the Meuse-Moselle canal, the remains of which can still be seen not far from here in the Bernistap tunnel.