Where? L-9400 Vianden
The Bildchen Chapel in Vianden is located at a pilgrimage site above the reservoir of the pumped storage plant and is worth a visit because of its idyllic location.
The Bildchen Chapel owes its name to a statue of Our Lady located inside. This Catholic chapel was built in 1848 in neo-Gothic style. Some parts of the chapel originate from the former castle chapel of Vianden. For many years, the statue called "Bildchen" was venerated on site. At that time, it was located in a rock niche that could only be reached via a narrow path. In 1848, a path was cut into the rock face and the foundation stone was laid for the chapel that was to house the miraculous statue.
Several hiking trails lead past the chapel, which has been recognised as a cultural monument since 2019. The immediate surroundings of the structure are also considered a cultural monument.